Gifts Best Sellers Specials New Products Product Trials Conditions A-Z

Now Foods, Valerian Root, 500 mg, 250 Capsules

Anxiety, Sleep and overall stress

Posted by Reviewer1085742 on May 01, 2010

Though not advertised for Anxiety it works well for mild to slightly moderate levels. Have to try to steer the mind away from thoughts of worry also not just take it like a "pharm" pill. Helps with relaxation and going to sleep. Don't take too many at one time as it can actually INCREASE negative symptoms 3 should be about the maximum at one time Maybe 4. Go off of it occationally so your body/mind can adjust without it and it will be more effective if you have to use it again later. Can be taken during the day in smaller quanities without making sleepy just use less and guage your response to it. I will not be without this aid myself.

Excellent antacid

Posted by Reviewer3264899 on Jun 03, 2009

I take this herb for the unorthodox purpose of settling my stomach due to hyper acidity. Whenever I get nauseous from acidic gastritis I've had great success taking this herb. There is a dose dependent response as the worse I feel the more capsules I need to take. There have been times when I've lost count but I would estimate to have taken during a couple hour period as many as about 30 of these 500 milligram capsules - I sure felt mellow after that high a dose but still fully functional, alert and clear thinking. Other times I've gotten relief from just a few capsules. While I can't be certain that this herb is acting as an antacid but I think it is a good deduction as I burp and feel a lot better after taking Valerian. Also I don't swallow the capsules but rather chew them up with water in my mouth. I do that with all capsules and tablets as I have a problem with dysphagia (larger food stuffs tent to get stuck in my esophagus). This is one of the grittier herbs - the root must be difficult to clean as there is always some amount of sand or dirt mixed in with the Valerian powder no matter what brand I use.

Now Valarien Root

Posted by Reviewer2438926 on Jul 27, 2014

I have Lyme insomnia - I havent slept unaided for 5 1/2 years now. I rely on valium, a special chinese crystalized herb called Yan Hu suo. Before I crashed with Lyme i had early morning waking for 19 years from the bacrerial infecton and I used to gobble down expemsive mexican valerian to get back to sleepat 4am. Since I discovered iherb(Thankyou iherb - you are an absolute godsend to those of us who spend a fortune on supplements - Im getting alot of my Lyme herbs here too so with out you I wouldnt be surviving),any way I find Nows Valerian capsules just as good as the expensive mexican(which I was told was better) and they help me sleep deeper. They're excellent AND a great price. Im buying alot of Now herbs. Bless - from Australia Tiana

Good Product

Posted by Reviewer3024013 on Jan 27, 2008

Good product for the price. One word of warning though. Some people, namely myself, have opposite reactions to Valerian (excitement). If you want to take valerian to calm down, be aware of this growing phenomenon. There have been more instances of hyperactivity to valerian found in heavy coffee drinkers.

sleep

Posted by Reviewer3161256 on Jan 30, 2008

couldn't sleep without it. helps me go to sleep fairly quickly every night.