Fantastic sugar replacement for baking!

Posted by Reviewer3065264 on Jan 24, 2010

Erythritol is a wonderful, natural replacement for sugar in baking. It does cause intestinal side effects when used in large amounts, so I tend to combine it with other sweeteners (such a NuNaturals More Fiber Baking Blend). However, erythritol has a shape and texture similar to cane sugar, which makes it possible to cream butter and do other things which can be essential in baking, all without the side effects of sugar on your blood sugar levels.

Made in China

Posted by Reviewer2720281 on Aug 24, 2015

No, you won't learn that from the product label or their website. They did confirm that to me by email.

NuNaturals, Pure Erythritol Crystals

Posted by Reviewer2335575 on Jun 12, 2009

Love this product! Works great in baking and coffee!

NuNaturals Bulk Erythritol Crystals: Tremendous Asset for Sugar-Free Nutrition

Posted by Reviewer3080141 on Apr 17, 2010

I know, I know, it sounds like the mutant offspring of a chem lab and a toxic waste dump, but erythritol is a fermented sugar alcohol (not THAT kind, the non-recreational kind) that can take the place of sugar in cooking. It doesn't present the difficult side effect maltitol can have (I call it "Maltitol Thunder"), and it's not as... well, minty... as xylitol. We use erythritol in baking and desserts. The only thing I'd caution you about is that it doesn't melt and it doesn't erode, so I powder it in a coffee grinder first. It's about 70% as sweet as sugar, so you can either use about a third again as much in recipes as you would sugar (but be aware that it's quite rich), or do a half-and-half blend of bulked-up sucralose (the latter is what I do). I've noticed that, as we leave sugar farther behind in the past, we're not only loads healthier, we've quit craving sweets. Erythritol is a fantastic solution for diabetes management, although you can also benefit from using it if you'd just like to get away from sugar. The challenge is that we use enough of it (I feed folks at the office too) that finding bulk erythritol at a good price can be tough. You can't go wrong with this brand and the price. And, of course, iHerb always gives you terrific service, so you can't lose.

Great sweetener!

Posted by Reviewer2904850 on Aug 15, 2009

I use this all the time! I mix 3/4 with 1/4 Xylitol for sweetening my iced tea. My family can't tell the difference from sugar.

Good taste, no gastric upset

Posted by Reviewer2009092 on Aug 16, 2010

I use a combination of Erythritol and stevia to give a well rounded sweetness to beverages, baked goods, etc. Erythritol does not cause bloating and discomfort that xylitol can, and so is good for use in larger amounts, such as sweetening beverages. No bitterness or unpleasant aftertaste noticed by this fan.

Absolutely great for baking

Posted by Reviewer1892191 on Dec 29, 2009

We use this for all our baking needs. Started using because of yeast-free diet. Can't live without it.

Two thumbs up!

Posted by Reviewer2102878 on Dec 30, 2009

For me, Erythriol works the best!! Stevia had the after taste but this one does not. I've not used it for cold drinks nor food so I'm not sure, but it melted fine in hot or warm food. I absolutely recommend this one.

Erythritol

Posted by Reviewer2566083 on May 28, 2009

I've just used it on porridge so far. I left for holiday soon after getting it and haven't got back yet (doing this review at iherb.com request via email). Seems pretty good. The cool after-taste was not as noticeable as I expected and did not bother me at all. I tried Xylitol previously and found the laxative effect was a problem. No such problems with Erythritol, as expected. Since its only 70% as sweet as sugar, I plan to add some NuNaturals Stevia (the type that has no aftertaste, which I am also impressed with) so that I can get sufficient sweetness without the risk of spoiling the recipe by having too much dry ingredients (You would have to otherwise put approx 50% more Erythriol in the recipe to get the same sweetness). Plan to use it when making muffins and soy ice cream.

Never again

Posted by Reviewer2566485 on Dec 20, 2009

I am a huge fan of Xylitol and felt like Erythritol would be just as good. It takes 3 times as much and the taste is worse.