Caused dryness and eczema

Posted by AnnaOst on Jan 17, 2014

I am very disappointed by this product! I'd been eager to try it because of all the fantastic reviews, but couldn't understand the admiration when I finally started using it on my skin. I have sensitive combination skin and I was hoping to get rid of comedones in T-zone. But this soap wasn't helpful at all. Instead I gained a bigger problem - within few days of use my skin became extremely dry, which resulted in ECZEMA. Few red itchy spots appeared on my skin and kept growing for a couple days causing a lot of irritation. I didn't want to blame the soap for it, but as soon as I stopped using it, my skin started healing. When I tried to use this soap all over my body, my skin started burning and itching. From what I found out later, this brand uses harsh artificial fragrances in their products (real black soap doesn't smell like that at all!), as well as unnecessary dyes which can hurt your skin. Would never recommend this to anyone.

Allergic reaction

Posted by Reviewer3293993 on Jul 25, 2011

I've never had an allergic reaction to any product like I had to this. Within about 2 hours of using it, my skin felt like it was on fire and I could feel my face pulsing. I used this all over my body, and my body turned red and itched horribly. My face also swelled up in a way that honestly made me nervous about things getting pretty serious. I showered again after I realized that this was the problem; unfortunately I didn't think about the tiny amount of residue from my razor and thus I continued to use it for a couple of days and itched too badly to sleep well at night. :/ I LOVE Iherb and I know that this product has gotten tons of good reviews. Even the 1 star reviews didn't describe anything like what happened to me. But I've never been allergic to any product like this, and I felt like maybe I should let people looking at the reviews know that there's *something* in this soap that might cause some allergic reactions.

Not a fan

Posted by MandyEm on Feb 01, 2013

Weird smell and left a dark residue on my tub.

dont like

Posted by Reviewer2081791 on Dec 06, 2011

severely dried skin

The worst soap ever!

Posted by Reviewer1833162 on Sep 08, 2012

It is impossible for me to understand why this soap has got so many good reviews. I like a soap that feels soft in my hands and makes me feel clean. Nubian Heritage African Black Soap Bar felt like a grater, smelled terrible and made me feel dirty while using it and afterwards too. I used this soap only once and then I threw it away.

Quite drying

Posted by Reviewer2672151 on Aug 01, 2015

The soap is too drying, regardless of how you use it. Makes the skin tight and dehydrated. I had to use cream after wash. Now, after a couple of hours my skin is tight, burns and won't stop. Some itching as well. Not sure I can find any use for it. My husband also says that the soap is very drying. UPDATE: by the end of the day there's still a burning sensation on the skin. Extremely unpleasant.

Dries my skin - don't get what all the fuss is about

Posted by CombinationEczema on Nov 30, 2013

Will not order again - African Black Soap Bar dries my skin, and makes my sensitive dry hands flaky. We threw it away cause we couldn't use it. Waste of money!

African Black Soap

Posted by Reviewer2321548 on Oct 20, 2010

Bought based on reviews. However, I find the soap to be extremely drying even for my oily/combination skin. Skin felt very tight and slight itch after using. Being organic it is surprisingly fragranced. Will not repurchase.

Itchy rash

Posted by Reviewer2607436 on Feb 15, 2012

This soap gave me a really bad, itchy rash that has lasted weeks, under my arms and on my face after using it a few times. I thought the ingredients were all natural, but the don't list the contents of the soap base, so who knows what is in that. I would love to know so I can steer clear of whatever it is, in the future.

Very nice for the skin BUT it contains

Posted by 4938615546298265520 on Nov 11, 2016

Palm Oil! The industry is linked to major issues such as deforestation, habitat degradation, climate change, animal cruelty and indigenous rights abuses in the countries where it is produced, as the land and forests must be cleared for the development of the oil palm plantations. According to the World Wildlife Fund, an area the equivalent size of 300 football fields of rainforest is cleared each hour to make way for palm oil production. Sustainable palm oil has been under fire for several years from environmentalists and organisations who feel it is nothing more than a greenwashing scheme. I will not consent to deforestation by beeing ingorant about Palm Oil and therefore will not use a product with palm oil no matter how good it is. The consumer has the power to change things! (Norway)