Posted by Reviewer3181914 on Jul 13, 2011

DMAE raises acetylcholine levels and lowers dopamine levels. I got more depressed on this because I think I need more dopamine than acetylcholine.

Not a Great Experience, For Me At Least

Posted by HawaiianViking on Sep 15, 2012

Originally, I purchased Source Naturals, DMAE as support for my skin, since it's been hyped for that purpose by many well-known medical doctors. After taking DMAE for months, I've noticed no change whatsoever in my skin, so I have to consider DMAE a failure in that regard. However, I did notice that my mental concentration was better and recall from memory was faster and clearer than ever before, and my eyesight improved, especially when reading. I also noticed that I was suffering from a kind of low-grade depression. In reasearching DMAE, I found that its mechanism of action is (supposedly; a lot of controversy exists over DMAE and its biological activity) by raising levels of Acetylcholine by inhibiting Choline metabolism, but this happens to lower the levels of the neurotransmitter Dopamine. So, speaking only from my experience, I wouldn't recommend trying DMAE unless there's a compelling reason. If a person is suffering from depression — especially depression caused by abnormally low levels of Dopamine — I would avoid DMAE completely, and certainly consult with a mental health professional with knowledge about brain chemistry before trying something like DMAE.

Can't Tell Its Effectiveness

Posted by Reviewer2666562 on Nov 17, 2007

I take this to help with concentration, but can't really tell any difference. The effect may be subtle.

Maybe a slight effect

Posted by Reviewer1843925 on Dec 18, 2010

After a week, no noticeable difference. However, I might have been a bit more concentrated e.g. when playing instruments. It's hard to say since sleeping and eating affets concentration much more.