Favourite product

Posted by Reviewer2387786 on Apr 02, 2011

I'm Asian and used "natural" hair colors like Herbatint, Naturtint and Tints of Nature, but found that all of them dried my hair terribly (particularly Tints of Nature). Have been using Surya Cream for about 9 months and now have very shiny hair. If I run out of conditioner, it still looks and feels soft and healthy. Unfortunately, Surya doesn't quite cover the newest growth white hair near in one spot, no matter how long I leave it on or whether I use dark brown or black. But it blends the color well enough not to look weird. I've found what works best is to color every 3 to 3.5 weeks and to touch up the roots once in between, because once the hair has been colored once or more, it seems to "take" the new application better. I'm probably about 30% grey, and even though I need to color often, it is very simple (I put it in a small plastic container and use a gloved hand to apply) and I much prefer the way Surya henna washes and grows out, without a distinct line at any time. There is a lot of variation in the product thickness (from very runny to hard to get out of the bottle), but it works regardless. For my chin-length hair, I get a few sessions from one bottle. I use more form-fitting latex gloves for easier application and put a reusable hotel-type shower cap on top while the color sets. So far, this is the best product I've found for my hair type and coloring needs.

HOOKED!!!

Posted by rossanav on Jun 07, 2012

I have been using a root touch up kit for years. I bumped into this product while shopping for other things on iherb. I read all the reviews, and decided to try it. I have dark brown hair with natural highlights. I always use medium brown, so l ordered the dark brown color the first time. I used it and left in on for an hour. It did cover the gray wonderfully, but it had a reddish tint. I ordered black the next time and this worked perfect for my roots. Now l use dark brown on half and black on the other half. No mixing, no smell and you can save unused creme. The best part is that you can do touch ups on parts you missed the first go round. I recommend leaving it on for a whole hour, especially if you have stubborn grays. On top of all this, this product conditions your hair and talk about SHINE!! I use this product 2x a month now. Smells great too.

Not easy to rinse out the product, but color turn out naturally

Posted by Reviewer2397118 on May 06, 2008

After time of application not easy to rinse out the product. Color turn out naturally (I wait 90 minutes than rinse out). Cannot just rinse by water, so I use shampoo to remove the product. Be sure to apply Vaseline around the hair-line, ears and neck to avoid staining on skin before dyeing.

Surya colour is great!

Posted by Reviewer2080685 on Feb 17, 2008

The best non-PPD containing black colour I've tried. Even covers my grey roots (I'm 80% grey).

best hair color ever

Posted by Reviewer1573583 on Mar 13, 2011

This cream henna is great for dark brown hair. It deeply conditions and has helped my hair recover from years of regular drugstore hair color. I like to alternate between the dark brown and the black. I am a med-dark brunette.

Works well. Wonderful alternative to harsh dyes.

Posted by Reviewer1741178 on Jan 21, 2011

I tried this product recently in late 2010 and the product is a little messier than typical hair dyes. It isn't as creamy as expected so it tends to run at first when you are applying closer to your scalp. But it washes easy off your skin. I have gray at the sides at my temples, with dark brown hair (dyed black) and the first day it appeared that it covered my grays completely. I had about 4 inches of gray. Three days later and only one washing (after the first initial rinse of the product) and I'm seeing about 1/4 inch of gray at the scalp starting to show, but it's not bright gray. It fades nicely to black at about an inch from my scalp. Not bad. The henna brought out a beautiful shine to my black hair color (that came from a harsher dye earlier in the year). I had the product on for a few hours as recommended by others. Loved that my scalp felt fine during treatment and after. This is so much better than regular hair color which I'm allergic to and my dermatologist forbids me to get near ever again. iHerb has the best price so please keep it in stock. Also, if you have long hair - my hair is about six inches below my shoulders - you will end up using the entire bottle or more, so buy an extra bottle in case and for regular touch ups.

Better than most henna products

Posted by Reviewer2208833 on Jan 30, 2011

My natural hair is dark brown/black and I have been coloring my hair myself and professional over 20+ years. I was spending About $200 a month to go to a high end salon that uses more natural hair color products and decided it was just too expensive a routine to maintain. So I have been trying henna products and hated the mixing, etc so I found this one and tried it a few times. I have been mixing the colors as I usually wear a dark brown with red highlights so I mix 3/4 black with 1/4 dark brown and it works great. I have over 50% gray which is very stubborn. So i find that I have to 'color' my hair every two weeks atleast. I treat it like a stay on conditioner treatment where I mix it and leave it on for about two hours. A couple of tricks I have learned (you actually find some out by thoroughly reading the directions), is to wash hair first (i then dry it so I can see what grays are theree), then I paint it on with a small paint brush I bought, and I DON'T comb it through as that thins out the color where you might need it. I reapply the color on the stubborn areas (like my part) after an hour. After the 2 hours, i rinse the color and dry it again to see what needs fixing, and again, I paint only those areas still not quite dark enough to my taste or where it looks blotchy (not colored evenly). I leave this final treatment on for another 20 minutes or so and then rinse. I don't wash it out with shampoo and I let it air dry this final time. I do this at night and sleep with a towel on my pillow as I expect there is still some henna left in my hair and I want to leave it overnight. of course with this overnight process, you'll find that the henna dyes your scalp but I believe that it is not harmful to you. In the morning, I just rinse it again or just fluff it out depending on how much 'bed head' I have. This is a time consuimg process to do every two weeks and I sometimes have to touch up the roots in between. But to me, I would rather be chemical free as much as possible and live with the results until I'm ready to go completely gray sometime down the road (I'm almost fifty and I said I would not go gray until I'm 60 or retired whichever occurs first). It's a battle ladies, but I'm worth it!!

Finally!!!

Posted by Reviewer2611626 on Feb 01, 2011

I kept on trying to color the white & silver hair I have around face line with color the grey started with light brown,medium brown,dark brown then black.My hair Kept coming up RED,so i tryed the Surya Henna Black it does alot better my hair is black ta da.It is alot easier & quicker.Hair is soft & shinning.But Color they grey leaves the hair shafts thicker giveing hair more body/thicker.I have noticed less shedding.If nothing changes my hair has allways grew fast so I like to color every two weeks,when swimming in lake in & out for days I color every week.I thought I might try some black straight up Henna in a jar on your list but it was out of stock.But I think the Surya Henna is great & Dan loves it too.Repeat orders speaks for its self.Free UPS for orders $40.00 or more is nice.Thank You Very Much.Rox

Excellent natural Quality

Posted by Reviewer1290027 on Jun 27, 2008

This product is wonderful. I suffered a horrible allergic reaction to hair dye a year ago after dying my hair for over 10 years. And this has been my saviour. It is true to color, I use black and it makes my hair glossy, soft and manageable. Only downside is that it does wash out fairly quickly so I use it about every week and a half. Just throw it on for 2-3 hours and do chores. There is very little drip and rinses off easily. What an amazing product!

Excellent natural product!

Posted by Reviewer2030908 on Oct 16, 2012

I've used this for years because I'm highly allergic to all other hair dyes. This gives a good dark color (a tiny bit purplish in some lighting). Easy to use, but do sleep on an old pillow case or towel for the first couple of nights and use an old towel to dry your hair the first couple of washes as some dye still comes out even after the initial rinse. I've been letting it grow out for months now without re-dyeing and it has reverted to a very reddish/orangish color, just fyi in case you ever want to grow out your hair and stop dyeing it. But I was always very happy with the hair dye when I was using it every month or so.