Bifidus free yogurt culture great for Specific Carbohydrate Diet

Posted by MeredithD1-3303302 on Oct 25, 2012

We have a Yogourmet yogurt maker, which is the yogurt maker of choice for people who are lactose intolerant, as the longer warm-water fermentation process will eliminate more of the lactose than other shorter-term yogurt maker products. Also, people with conditions such as IBS, Crohn's, and some other difficulties, can benefit from a yogurt that doesn't have bifidus and has no added casein (which is already in milk). There is only one other yogurt starter I know of that doesn't have added casein or bifidus, which must be shipped cold and is more expensive, both for the product and the shipping. Your body already makes bifidus, and added bifidus can irritate certain people's systems. There is only one commercial yogurt I have found that doesn't have bifidus in its ingredients, so if bifidus is an issue, this is the way to go.

Makes great yoghurt

Posted by Reviewer3260068 on Aug 16, 2011

I just put in one sachet, add a carton of long life organic semi skimmed milk and put it in my 'Lakeland limited' (UK) yoghurt maker (the on that you plug in). It does take a little longer than normal, but the result is mild. You can add a tablespoon of dried milk powder if you like it thicker, but as I want to keep it organic I dont. I even tried it with a carton of soya milk and it worked! but the taste was too bland for me!

very good yogurt starter

Posted by Reviewer3180954 on Apr 22, 2012

I make my home-made yogurt with this starter. Yogurt turns out very soft and creamy.

Absolutely fantastic if you're following the specific carbohydrate diet (SCD)!!!

Posted by Reviewer2078230 on Aug 11, 2011

Although the ingredients contain sucrose, this is needed for the starter culture as a temporary food source, but as the yoghurt is fermented for 24 hours, rather than the regular 8hours or so, all the sucrose is cleaved by the culture enzymes into monosaccharides (single unit sugar molecules) which are acceptable for digestion of the yoghurt. Good stuff.

Chron's supplement

Posted by 5324077134647419475 on Aug 30, 2013

I hadn't had dairy in years before I learned about 24-hour yogurt with this starter. Not only did I gain back a little bit of dairy, I got noticeably healthier for it! Now, 20 boxes later, and quite a few pounds heavier, I am switching to goat's milk or looking into almond yogurt. I am not convinced that dairy is good for my Crohn's and I have started to get some chest infections, but regardless, I still want to use this product and find a way to keep using it as it makes a noticeable difference in my Crohn's Disease.

Good value, and makes great thick yogurt

Posted by Reviewer3066526 on Nov 22, 2010

This is cheaper for me than using plain yogurt from the supermarket. Yogurt sets quickly from full cream UHT milk in about 4 hours in my Severin yogurt maker and is nice and thick. Definitely getting more of this to make all my future batches of yogurt!

Yogourmet, Freeze-Dried Yogurt Starter & Creme Bulgare Starter, 1 oz (30 g)

Posted by Reviewer1999671 on Nov 25, 2010

I've used this for years to make yogurt every 10 days or so. Excellent!

Excellent Yogurt Starter

Posted by Reviewer2280143 on Dec 02, 2010

I have tried a few different starters, this one is excellent! Better taste, better price. I used yogurt from the store and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, Yogourmet works every time!

Yogourmet, freeze-Dried Yogurt Starter

Posted by Reviewer3097039 on Feb 23, 2010

Fantastic taste. Just add your favorite fruit. We stir in fruit pie filling.

easy to use - works well

Posted by weebly on Aug 10, 2015

used it in my yogurt maker - worked well and easy to use