American red yeast rice WILL NOT help cholesterol!

Posted by Reviewer1072654 on Aug 29, 2015

If you're taking this to reduce LDL cholesterol, you are wasting your time and money. All red yeast rice products produced in the USA must BY LAW remove the natural statins which occur in the raw product. Thus, there is ZERO BENEFIT for reducing LDL cholesterol. Think I'm making this up? Look up 'red yeast rice' on Wikipedia, which cites the court cases (presumably initiated by pharmaceutical companies) which outlaw naturally occurring statins in red yeast rice products made in the USA. I'd been taking this product for a year and found no difference in my LDL levels. Now I know why. I'd demand a refund, except this and every other red yeast rice product on iHerb makes no claim to have statin or cholesterol-reducing benefits. To quote the Wikipedia article: "As of 2010, there are at least 30 brands available. Many of these avoid the FDA restriction by not having any appreciable monacolin content. Their labels and websites say no more than 'fermented according to traditional Asian methods' or 'similar to that used in culinary applications.' The labeling on these products often says nothing about cholesterol." Since red yeast rice has no other discernible benefit except as food coloring, you're wasting your money buying such supplements.

Improved lipid profile

Posted by Reviewer1615590 on Oct 13, 2007

After my annual medical on 3/1/07, I decided that I needed to improve my lipid profile. My strategy was to take 500 mg niacin and one capsule of red yeast rice. My blood was tested again on 9/5/07. Total cholesterol dropped from 248 to 217. LDL went from 166 to 130 HDL increased from 48 to 76!!! My LDL:HDL ratio decreased from 3.46 to 1.81 (by almost a half!) Unexpectedly, my triglycerides fell from 171 to 76!

Excellent

Posted by alvinlky on Sep 17, 2013

Excellent Product

Great product!

Posted by Reviewer1030541 on Apr 13, 2008

On a blind test where my husband didn't know he was taking it, his cholesterol level was lowered for the first time in several years from about 210 to 186 (in only 1 1/2 months of taking the red yeast rice). I'd say it works!

Seems to work

Posted by Reviewer3348418 on Aug 18, 2009

Beginning 1/1/09, I started taking this twice daily with a seperate 50mg CoQ10 each dose after a 12/13/08 blood test showed my cholesterol was 253 (44-HDL, 175-LDL, 172 Triglycerides). Last blood test 7/17/09: cholesterol 224 (60-HDL, 135-LDL, 144 triglycerides). To give this product a completely fair test, I changed nothing else in my diet or lifestyle. I am 5/11, 215#. I drink alcohol daily and get some, but not consistent, exercise. I would expect better results with changes to diet and lifestyle, which I plan to do. Since I waited 6 months to get blood test results, I cannot say how quickly the product acutally worked - It may have had a shorter period impact and for some, it probably does. Some have commented that taking the product version that included CoQ10 gave better results, but I decided to take the CoQ10 separately because it is cheaper than buying the product with it already incorporated. Based on the results of my trial, I would say with confidence that the product does indeed work, with results varying by individual.