You Might Be Surprised

Posted by HawaiianViking on Nov 10, 2012

When Nellie's All-Natural Laundry Soda arrives you might be surprised at the relatively small size of the container and also at the small size of the scoop included for measuring the detergent, since a tablespoon of powder couldn't clean laundry satisfactorily. But it does! As explained by the manufacturer, Nellie's doesn't include water in its Laundry Soda formulation, which is the principal ingredient in most laundry detergents: "Nellie's [doesn't] think selling you water and moving water around the planet is a good idea." Judging from my experience, I have to agree; Nellie's Laundry Soda left my clothes clean and residue-free. In addition, the packaging is hard not to like. I thought that a metal container was chosen as an appeal to sentimentality, but Nellie's explains that the packaging was chosen because "[i]ron and Steel are the world's most recycled materials, and amongst the easiest materials to reprocess."

Will never go back to commercial detergent

Posted by msau99 on Jan 04, 2014

After a medical condition, I did some research and switched to Nellie laundry soda. I wanted to avoid the bad stuff in commercial detergent. When the cute pretty tin arrived, it made me wonder whether just a scoop of the powder would do the job. But, it does! Very well indeed! The clothes come out clean, they also smell clean and fresh and residue free. They do not smell fakish. I have been using this for two months plus and I absolutely will never go back to commercial detergent. If you are debating whether or not to try this, hesitate no longer, please order and try for yourself. Trust me, you won't regret it. Click on my username for more reviews! If you find this review helpful please feel free to press the 'yes' button.

Works great in our hard water!

Posted by Reviewer3020790 on Mar 18, 2012

I wasn't sure if I would like going back to a powder laundry detergent, but I've been using Nellie's for about three weeks now (that's about 15 loads of laundry) and I absolutely love it! We have water that borders on "hard", so the white clothes can get a yellow/gray cast to them due to the minerals left behind. I have found the whites coming out brighter than ever. But, the best part is that the clothes smell like they've been hung outside in the sunshine. I can't hang clothes outside here, so I missed that lovely, fresh smell. You only use one small scoopful (included in the package). I like the idea that I am not paying for a product that is more water than cleaning agent. I will definitely buy this product again.

Best Laundry Soda EVER !!

Posted by Sickness-ELIMINATOR on Aug 11, 2013

As a germaphobe, I used to dump an excessive amount of harsh detergents in the wash. In an effort to be kinder to the environment and reduce the chemicals in my household, I decided to give Nellie's a try. I was skeptical that a powder with so few ingredients would get the clothes clean--especially if I only used a tablespoon. HOLY COW, it actually works! . . . You can find other products I use on my Page! I use only products that have Scientifically Proven benefits (or taste good).

A marvelously eco detergent

Posted by sherilyn on Jan 26, 2015

I must confess that what attracted me first to Nellie’s All-Natural Laundry Soda was its vintage packaging. Its retro look fit perfectly in our 1950s house. For such a nifty little can (measuring only 11 cm x 11 cm x 18 cm and fitting nicely into my palm), I found it hard to believe that the package contains 100 loads worth of detergent. I skeptically stuck a post-it note to the can and tick marked each time I did laundry to check whether there were indeed 100 loads worth. I made it to 93 but was nonetheless satisfied. I knew that I could have made it to 100 had I leveled the scoop each time. Opening up a can of Nellie’s, I was greeted with the scent of clean - just plain, honest-to-goodness clean - and I instantly liked it. It’s refreshingly different from the contrived fragrances of other laundry detergents whose scent are too dizzying for me. Nellie’s is made up of exactly five ingredients: Coconut oil based surfactants Sodium carbonate (soda ash) Sodium metasilicate Fatty alcohol ethoxylate Sodium chloride For a regular sized load, Nellie’s recommends just one thumb-sized scoopful (scoop included) of laundry soda. As I poured it into the washing machine, the granules instantly dissolved with the water. There was hardly any froth or soapsuds -- the exact opposite of what we see in laundry commercials where more foam somehow corresponded with a cleaner wash. The water did feel soapy despite the absence of bubbles, but I was curious whether the wash (which included stinky cloth diapers) would come out clean. Result: The laundry I pulled out from the machine smelled clean and smelled of sunshine, if sunshine had a scent. There were no lumps of detergent anywhere and the clothes felt stripped clean of any residue. I remembered what an uncle said about laundry: it’s the water that does most of the cleaning and you need just a little detergent to help water do its job. My husband recently gave me an opportunity to test the power of Nellie’s. He completed an Ironman race in Malaysia and packed all his sweaty sportswear into a plastic bag and kept it fermenting there for about two days as he traveled back home. He warned me not to inhale when I opened up the bag. I reckoned I would need to wash them twice to get them clean. But no, Nellie’s did the job in just one wash. Nellie’s Laundry Soda - small and powerful.

Great for Cloth Diapers

Posted by zigzagza on Nov 06, 2013

We use Nellie's for all our laundry - adults', babies', sheets, towels, rugs, everything. It doesn't leave a residue so it's great for cloth diapers. It takes the odour out of the stinkiest diapers. A few of us in the family have sensitive skin and Nellie's doesn't give us itches or rashes. I use a little less than one scoop for a full load, one full scoop only for laundry that's heavily soiled.

I love this!!

Posted by Reviewer2015765 on Feb 08, 2012

It's natural and eco-friendly. I hate the smell of the laundry soap, but after using this I don't need to smell of it anymore^^

I expected way more

Posted by 5602475129292382614 on Nov 25, 2013

I have to put at least 2 scoops for a normal 6kg-7kg wash and the results are below average, not amazing, the smell is not strong enough to be left on clothes, in fact clothes smell dirty . So this will only last me for 50 washes not 100 washes which does not make it economical for me. Sometimes I was the clothes for another wash cycle. Over 2-3 hrs. Still not great

cost effective, non-scented

Posted by 5564529507795853477 on Nov 20, 2014

I like Nellie's because you only need a teaspoon to get the job done! :) It does not have a smell, which is nice for people with sensitivities to conventional laundry detergent. I recommend to anyone looking for a cost effective, natural alternative to harsh, chemical filled laundry detergents.

Love Nellys Laundry Soda !

Posted by 5169442532440319363 on Jun 23, 2016

I love this laundry soda. It works well even though you only have to use a teaspoon per load. It smells fresh and clean and I'm glad to be free of all the chemicals that regular detergent leaves in your clothes which your skin absorbs. The price was great also . I received my order quickly, but the packaging was terrible . This laundry soda comes in a cute vintage like tin container that you could reuse for something else, but it came in a box with no protection at all with an empty space in the box, so it bounced around in the box all the way to my house. The cute tin that I wanted to save for future use was damaged in transit because it was packed poorly. This is my second order of this product that has came this way. Both containers were damaged . iHerb, I love your store, but please improve packing your shipments .