Wish there was no chromium in ingredients

Posted by Reviewer1122052 on Jul 19, 2011

I love the price and quantity of this chitosan product BUT UNFORTUNATELY I'm not crazy about the added chromium, which I find unnecessary. I wish you would sell pure chitosan pills by itself. Chromium supplementation is a controversial topic as true chromium deficiency is extremely rare. The widely claimed benefits of chromium supplementation are largely unsupported by the scientific community. Studies have shown high levels of chromium leading to DNA damage. Also, a high dose of chromium, 600-2400 mcg per day, may cause anemia, thrombocytopenia, hemolysis, hepatic dysfunction, and renal failure. Just 2 doses of NOW Foods Chitosan already supply way too high a dose of 600 mcg. For some reason, cheaper dietary supplements, especially those used for blood glucose regulation or weight management usually contain chromium as an ingredient, and usually at an amount much higher than the suggested daily recommended intake, despite the lack of positive scientific studies to support chromium supplementation. I also take other nutritional supplements and at least 2 of them already contain some chromium, which is more than enough for my needs. By adding Now Foods Chitosan, I am unwillingly further upping my chromium intake by a few more hundred percent of the RDI, which will likely end up toxic to my system in the long run. So unfortunately, even though I love almost everything else about the NOW chitosan, just the unnecessarily added chromium alone means I have to look for other alternative brands that sell simply pure chitosan. It's such a pity.

Please continue to carry this product.

Posted by Reviewer2361620 on Nov 22, 2010

I've been using Chitosan for years, but it is now very difficult to find due to some stupid people who don't know how to swallow a pill without choking. New Foods Chitosan 500 mg / 240 Capsules are much less expensive than GNC's brand of Chitosan, and you get much more with New Foods' brand. This product helps with weightloss simply in that it absorbs fat from the foods I love to eat, so that I end up pooping out the fat instead of adding it to my body's store of fat. That way the body starts to burn stored fat instead, resulting in fat loss.

Now foods Chitosan

Posted by Reviewer3011352 on Nov 29, 2007

A friend had suggested I use this product for my stomach-I have a sensitive stomach and wasn't taking any fiber supplements. This is my second month on it and I absolutely love it. It's gentle on my stomach and works right away from the first dose! I highly reccomend this product to anyone who has IBS or any other senstitive stomach issues.

Chitosan rocks

Posted by Reviewer2501698 on Oct 01, 2009

I like to take Chitosan if I feel like I have eaten something to rich or fatty. It seems to help with fat absorbtion. Don't take it too often - it might also absorb vitamins.

perfect product for moderate cost

Posted by Reviewer2781903 on Dec 27, 2011

Chitosan provides reliable protection of body against excessive fat in situation when you cannot control the contents of your food, i.e. during visits of your relatives, celebrations or partying...

LOVE IT!!

Posted by Reviewer3025718 on Jul 11, 2009

I have only been taking chitosan for a month and a half and I have lost an inch around my stomach in fat! I highly recommend this product! The only bad thing I could say is that sometimes you have fishy tasting burps after taking it, but it's totally worth it haha!

It works!!

Posted by Reviewer2321661 on May 26, 2016

I do not take it everyday. When I go out to eat oily foods I take two capsules to get rid of the oil. Some reviews show concern about the chromium it contains. However, I am glad that they include chromium in it. You do not need to take the full dose. Two per oily meal is OK. That means you took 200mcg of chromium which is not a high dosage at all. My mom is on the borderline of diabetes and she took chromium supplement for a few months and her blood sugar comes down to normal and followed by 100mcg everyday. She is now 90 years old without any sign of diabetes. Hope this information helps. Search the web about the relationship between chromium and diabetes will be useful.

S. Lewis

Posted by Reviewer2462316 on Jul 06, 2008

Fast shipping from iHerb! This product cuts down on the fat that's absorbed in my system, I am losing weight and constipation is gone.

Chitosan, 500 mg

Posted by Reviewer1771462 on Mar 14, 2009

This stuff moves fat from a meal on out of your system without the side effects like the other fat control substance called Alli.

Seems to work

Posted by 5096802802534606242 on Jul 07, 2012

I purchased for an upcoming vacation and didn't want to ruin my diet efforts for the past 5 months by making a few bad choices while enjoying my vacation, so in my opinion they seemed to work pretty well. I actually made more than a few bad choices, but between this and another supplement, I still maintained & met my weight loss goal by the 6 month mark!!