L-tryptophan

Posted by Reviewer3260843 on Jan 23, 2009

I find that this helps me to sleep deeper and if I awaken I am able to get back to sleep.

Helps me sleep and wake up happy

Posted by danarm on Jul 17, 2013

Tryptophan is a precursor of serotonin (the happy hormone) and melatonin (the sleep hormone). So, if you take it, your brain will make both melatonin (to help you fall asleep) and serotonin (to make you happy). I take 4-6 pills (2-3 grams) of Tryptophan every night. It gets me to sleep and keeps me sleeping better than Melatonin. I wake up happy and energetic as a result of serotonin production. It also produces sleep entrainment (if you take it at 10 PM, you will fall asleep at 10-11 PM, even if you stop taking it). After some time, it loses it's effect, and I have to switch to something else periodically. This is because there are some enzymes which break down tryptophan. The normal quantity of Trypthopan taken in through diet is 1.5-2 g. May reduce carbohydrate consumption. Most people overeat carbohydrates because carbs help tryptophan cross the blood-brain barrier (BBB). When obese patients were given 1,000 mg, 2,000 mg, or 3,000 mg doses of L-tryptophan one hour before meals to raise the amount of tryptophan, a significant decrease in caloric consumption was observed. The majority of the reduction in caloric intake was due to the amount of carbohydrates, not protein, consumed.

Limited effectiveness and side effects

Posted by Reviewer2718450 on Aug 30, 2012

Made my wife drowsy, but the sleep quality was poor. The grogginess would continue all through the morning until the afternoon. This was on only 1 tablet per night.

is working great for me

Posted by Reviewer3264351 on Apr 09, 2010

L-Tryptophan has helped me to get off prescription depression medications I was taking : )

sleep aid

Posted by Reviewer2796695 on May 28, 2008

I used Drs. Best and loved it, they doubled the price recently so I tried this and this is just as good at a lower price, plus I don't have to try and dissolve powders as it is in capsule form

really notice a difference

Posted by Reviewer1505641 on Feb 15, 2008

just take 2 @ bedtime,sleep like a baby...also way better head-space,my daughter who has chronic insomnia tried some,worked well for her,she has ordered her own.great product!

not impressed yet

Posted by Reviewer3165449 on Feb 12, 2009

I also tried this after taking 5-HTP. The 5-HTP really does help lift my depression, but does not help me sleep, so I tried the L-Tryptophan and it does help a little with sleep, but I have not noticed a big difference in either falling asleep or the quality of my sleep and it does not seem to be doing anything for my depression. I am thinking that if 5-HTP is not strong enough one needs a prescription drug for the depression. I am currently trying to find out if one can take the L-tryptophan and the 5-HTP, possibly at different times of the day, without adverse effects. On the other hand maybe one has to take the L-Tryptophan for a while before results can be seen. I have only been taking it regularly for a few days. My experience with iHerb is always dependable. I received my product in two days at a very cheap shipping rate. It is just the efficacy of the product that I seem to be having a problem with.

Very pleased - Take with Vitamin B6 P-5-P for maximum results.

Posted by Reviewer1990660 on May 04, 2010

I love L-Tryptophan!! It's been really nice for my anxiety and depression. I'm weaning off Celexa and Valium and this has been allowing me to do so without flipping out. (IMPORTANT: Be sure to consult your physician before taking this with any anti-depressant as the combo can be toxic!) The first couple doses did make me a bit tired during the day but my body adjusted and now the tiredness has turned into a general calm. I definitely notice when I forget to take these regularly. For best effects, take these either an empty stomach or with some complex carbs. Do not take with protein or shortly before or after eating protein. Also Vitamin B6 P-5-P (Pridoxal 5' Phosphate) is essential for maximum absorption, not only for L-Tryptophan but many other amino acids. Chances are your Vitamin B Complex does NOT have the P-5-P version of B6. Mine didn't and I had to order it separately, but it was well worth it! I could really tell the difference in effectiveness!

It really works!

Posted by 5670360866224921779 on Jun 29, 2013

You sleep like a baby and don`t have a hangover the next day. I am really surprised. I have tried melatonin supplement before and it didn't work for me. But this one works miracles.

using for sleep

Posted by 5761101439668124507 on Jun 19, 2015

Using this AA in conjunction with 3 others plus herbs and magnesium - I have managed to turn around a 35 year habit of type 2 insomnia that has responded to no other forms or combinations od treatments. I'm now sleeping through the night and waking fully rested at least 5 nights out of the week. This is nothing short of miraculous in my experience. All the AA products that I use are the Now Brand and their price combined with effectiveness makes this a product that I am more than happy to recommend to anyone.