July Special - Free International Shipping for orders over $40.00!

Now Foods, Real Food, Beef Gelatin Powder, 1 lb (454 g)

Bought after reading a reviewer noted benefits for knees - terrible for drinking though

Posted by Health-Is-Wealth on Jan 20, 2014

As a thickener this powder is great. As for drinking it - the instructions on the packet say to mix 1 tablespoon with cold juice and drink immediately. I found it started to gelatinise way too quickly and turned into wallpaper paste - impossible to drink and a most unpleasant texture. If you're thinking about trying it for the same reason, suggest checking the Now Foods caps instead - much more user friendly. I ended up buying some empty gelatin capsules to fill my own caps - cheaper and no added fillers (e.g. mag stearate). If this review was helpful to you, please click YES below - thank you. For reviews of all the products I have purchased from iHerb, please click my username above.

great stuff!

Posted by Reviewer2913010 on Aug 12, 2010

Easy to use. I use 1/4 tsp of gelatin with 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum or guar gum per cup of gluten free flour mix, and the breads turn out delicate and moist. I still have 2 loaves of banana nut bread I made 2 weeks ago in baggies in the fridge, (i made 7 at one time), and they are still fresh and moist tasting, and even my gluten eating husband loves them! I will continue to use this brand as it is economical as well as a great product to use.

Very good!

Posted by Reviewer2798035 on Dec 06, 2010

Use it in my morning smoothie to add protein and balance the glycemic index of the fruit and veggies! Doesn't add flavor or consistency to the smoothie! Haven't taken enough to notice effects on nails hair, cartilage, etc.

useful protein

Posted by fennel on Aug 10, 2011

I am just beginning to get the hang of using this, I wish there was instructions on making a jelly or sweets as it is difficult to estimate what quantity to use. I put some into my morning smoothie to increase the protein content, it is tasteless and so is easy to use for this purpose. I would love to be able to buy a grass fed organic version of this powdered gelatine.

great for jello

Posted by Reviewer3355855 on Jul 26, 2013

This is a good product. Our family is following the GAPS diet to improve digestiion. Gelatin helps heal the gut lining, so I use this in lots of ways, from adding to soups and stews, to making jello and as an egg substitute. This is always on hand in my kitchen.