HealthForce Nutritionals, Friendly Force, The Ultimate Probiotic, 120 Vegan Caps

Reviews 2-star

Disappointed, Seemed to Cause Skin Breakouts

Posted by wholefoods on Jan 13, 2013

I have been reading more about probiotics and their role in digestive health and immunity and wanted to try this product as I have had good experiences with other Healthforce products in the past. I have especially liked Vitamineral Green and Vitamin C powder and found them to be of exceptional quality. Unfortunately, I didn't have such a great experience with this product. After taking 2-4 capsules per day for about a week, I began to notice small cystic acne developing on my cheeks. I haven't had that problem for many years and wasn't sure what the cause was at first. My diet and other factors in my life were basically the same as they had been and I couldn't identify what the cause was. I continued to take this product for another 2 weeks and found increasing skin breakouts all over my cheeks. It was very unexpected and troubling for that to happen. I began to have an intuition that these may be playing some role in my skin problems. I did some research online and discovered several articles and responses by others who had also experienced probiotics leading to skin breakouts and other problems. After reading these articles and responses, I stopped using this product entirely. Since I stopped taking this product, my skin has gone back to the way it was before and my previous breakouts are healing. I can't say there is a definite cause and effect relationship between my skin problems and this product, but I also think there may have been an issue with one of the types of probiotics or other ingredients. Perhaps I was intolerant to some of the ingredients or the level or probiotics disrupted something in my digestive track. I've also read that some probiotics might enter the bloodstream if a person has a problem with absorption and the body may develop an immune response. I've also considered that this may have been a healing reaction to a deeper problem, but ultimately I didn't notice enough of a positive result from taking these for a few weeks to make me feel it was worth it to go through increasingly severe skin reactions. Regardless, I won't purchase these again. I still think Healthforce is a great company and this product will probably work fine for others. They just weren't the best for me.