Healthy Origins, Probiotic, 30 Billion CFU's, 60 Vcaps

Get your probiotics refrigerated

Posted by NBPT100 From Massachusetts on Apr 16, 2013

I am a beliver in probiotics. However poor shelf life can be an issue. Probiotics are not stable for very long at room temperature. If the temperature goes higher there are no guarantees what may be left living. This is no disrespect to iHerb, but I now buy my probiotics from a health food store that keeps them refrigerated or I buy from a vendor that will ship them in ice packs. This was not shipped in Ice. Infact the manufacturer says it is not required. Regardless of that, I keep mine refrigerated. I highly recommend to keep your probiotics refrigerated. Even if it claims to be ok not to do so. Also, look for glass bottle packaging or individually packaged capsules (blister packaging) as this will help with the shelf life. Look for a broad range of strains in any probitic you buy. Seven or more. The Lacto bacteria are for the small intenstine and the Bifo are for the large intestine. You can also take a prebiotic(food for the probiotic) that will help the probiotics thrive. Prebiotics include inulin, FOS, and foods like onions, garlic, bananas and leeks. Also consider NAG. Take your probiotic on an empty stomach with water mixed with bit of lemon or lime. This will help it move through the stomach faster (stomach acid will kill them) and into the intestine where it needs to be. I did use an entire bottle of this product and I found very little benefit from it. Probaly for the reasons I outlined above. If you found this review helpful, kindly visit my iHerb home page by clicking on my handle name above. You will see my other value added reviews. Peace and good health.

Great Product

Posted by 5649150956425648240 on Aug 10, 2012

I've had 2 bouts of stomach flu within the last 6 - 8 weeks & during that time I was taking another brand of probiotic with 7 billion CFU's. I saw this product on iherb and decided to give it a go, I commenced taking these about a week after my last bout of stomach flu and during the first 4 days experienced bloating, gas & diarrhea. I was almost going to throw these away in disgust thinking I had caught the tummy bug yet again and the probiotic wasn't working but I read online reviews that advised what I was experiencing are common side effects when taking probiotics and symptoms usually last between 1 - 2 weeks. So I persevered. After the 4 days my tummy settled, I was still a little bloated and has loose stools. During the next 3 - 4 days I developed a mid range fever, after more research I found that this is a less common side effect that is thought to be caused by a disruption to the immune system either by the introduction of the good bacteria or the good bacteria actually doing their job and killing off the bad bacteria. So again I persevered. I have now been taking these a little over a week and the symptoms have all gone, I am starting to feel a lot better than I have in a long time (I have experienced loss of energy and general malaise since November when i had a bad chest infection). It does feel as though these good little bacterial guys have fought off all the bad stuff that has been in my system and I am now feeling refreshed and energized. I have already repurchased the larger size bottle and will continue to take these supplements.

A Miracle

Posted by Reviewer2710857 From Brazil on Dec 22, 2012

I've being suffering from several years from GERD symptoms like sore throat, coughing, burping, a feeling like there was something stuck in my throat and voice changes. After spending thousand of dollars with medics and exams they said I didn't have anything so I decided to investigate it myself and gave a chance to probiotic. All these symptoms started to improve 3 days after I started taking it (I use 2 or 3 pills a day). Also, some skin problems like Keratosis Pilaris seems to be improving. My allergies are getting better and I feel very energetic because I no longer have digestion problems. Will buy these pills as long as they produce. Healthy Origins has the best amount (in billions) of good bacteria than other brands. Oh, they also survive in room temperature which is fantastic. 5 stars!!

Prepare for die off symptoms

Posted by Reviewer1964258 From Canada on Aug 20, 2010

When I first took this I had diarrhea for 4 days. I also had flu-like symptoms for a day. My gut would rumble with gas minutes after digesting this probiotic. However, after those first 4 days the die off symptoms subsided. I guess it killed a lot of yeast. So if you experience any die off symptoms, just push forward and the symptoms should go away eventually.

Ineffective compared to other brands

Posted by Reviewer2774065 From New Zealand on Jun 24, 2012

Maybe these sat in a hot truck before making it to New Zealand, but these probiotics were completely useless for me, even when taking 3 a day. I tossed these and ordered my (more expensive) preferred brand, which keeps my GI system running smoothly.