10% off orders over $60.00. Offer ends September 30th.

Nutiva, Organic White Chia Seed, 12 oz (340 g)

Chia Seeds

Posted by KiMaLi on Apr 15, 2013

Chia seeds are a species of flowering plant in the mint family. It is native to Mexico and Guatemala. Chia seeds can used in drinks and as a food source. They are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. If you found this review helpful please click the yes button.

Ancient Aztecs' best kept secret.

Posted by Caerulea on May 11, 2014

Chia seeds are truly a superfood. One ounce (about two tablespoons) of chia seeds provides a whopping 11 grams of fiber (45% of the recommended daily intake), 14% of the recommended daily intake of iron, 18% of calcium, 24% of magnesium, 27% of phosphorus, 30% of manganese 14% of zinc, not to mention that they're naturally gluten free and suitable for people suffering from gluten intolerance and celiac disease. But that's not all: chia seeds are one of the best vegetable sources of protein (one ounce provides 7 grams, 10% of the RDI) and vitamins B1, B2, B3 (about 20% of the RDI in one ounce) and the richest vegetable source of omega-3 fatty acids (5 grams in one ounce, the RDI is 3-4 grams), and unlike flaxseeds, they can be eaten whole and don't need to be ground. It comes as no surprise that chia seeds are packed with health benefits and can help people suffering from diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, obesity, heart disease, gastritis, acid reflux, nausea, indigestion, osteoporosis, arthritis, rheumatism and many other diseases and conditions: they stabilize blood sugar, regulate insulin levels and prevent blood spikes keeping you full longer, aid digestion, prevent heartburn and acid reflux, increase appetite, soothe the stomach lining, reduce colon inflammation, normalize blood pressure, lower triglycerides and LDL or "bad" cholesterol levels while increasing HDL or "good" cholesterol, protect against strokes, atherosclerosis and peripheral arterial disease, help maintain healthy bones and teeth. I really love these white chia seeds. They normalize my cholesterol and blood pressure, help my acid reflux and gastritis and keep me full for a long time stabilizing my blood sugar. They have a more delicate taste than black ones and I add them everywhere: from oatmeal and cereal to different recipes. When soaked for a few minutes, they develop a gelatinous coating and produce a nutritious and almost tasteless gel which is a great cholesterol free binding agent that can be used instead of eggs and won't affect the flavor of any food. Great product. Would definitely recommend it.

Excellent for regularity

Posted by Reviewer2559622 on Nov 04, 2011

I had read a lot about chia online, and wanted to try them out. I tried them various ways, but have settled into have a shot glass of pudding in the morning (1 tablespoon of seeds, agave, nutmeg, cinnamon, and almond milk--dairy milk tastes ok but the seeds do not soak as much liquid when I use dairy milk, so they are crunchier), and after dinner, a glass of diluted orange juice, with some seeds in it that I keep pre-soaked in the fridge. It has really helped with regularity. I had a lot of problems with constipation before. I read that because of the antioxidants and omega-3's, chia can also be good for reducing wrinkles, but I have not seen any effects in that area yet (I am 30 and have some on my forehead and around my eyes). I try to chew the seeds so that I can get the most of their nutrients, but a lot of them just go right through. I tried grinding them into my smoothies, but they gave it a grainy, thick taste that I didn't like. I prefer to put pre-soaked seeds into my smoothie. If the smoothie contains anything frozen, the seeds quickly freeze and become little chewy ice balls that are quite good. I found when I did the chia-orange-juice thing in the middle of the day as a snack, it gave me diarrhea, so that wasn't so great-feeling. I also read that because chia seeds are in the salvia family, they can be addictive, so you should only eat them 3 weeks out of the month. I haven't had them long enough to get addicted, but I don't know what I would do without them for a week! My diet is overall pretty low in fiber, so chia seeds are a great way to get fiber. They combine well with so many other foods, and are so easy to prepare. I wanted to give some to my pregnant friend, who is of course having problems with regularity, but I read that they are not recommended for pregnant or lactating women, mainly because not much testing has been done in that area. It's too bad, because I was hoping to use them if I get pregnant.

Good!

Posted by Reviewer1152715 on Apr 24, 2013

I am happy with my purchase. Packaging describes the seeds well. They tase good too and they are healthy! Will purchase again.

Tasty ALA omega-3's..

Posted by PracticalReviews on Oct 19, 2013

Great source of vegan omega 3 to combine with sweet deserts....you are welcome to rate & read my other reviews